Sir Richard SpencerPrint Page
Monument commemorates Sir Richard Spencer.
Sir Richard Spencer was the early Government Resident of the fledgling settlement in Albany on the south coast of Western Australia. Albany was a shanty town when the ship bearing Sir Richard and his wife and children anchored in Princess Royal Harbour in 1833.
Richard Spencer worked diligently to administer the turbulent pioneer settlement, living peacefully with the local Aboriginal people and helping guarantee Albany’s future as a settlement and port. He established Strawberry Hill Farm and built a comfortable home there for his family.
Tomorrow afternoon, at 3 o'clock, the Mayor of Albany (Hon. C. H. Wittenoom, M.L.C) will unveil the memorial erected to commemorate the memory of the late Sir Richard Spencer. The memorial was been erected by Mrs. Egerton Warburton, of Peppermint Grove. This will be one of the occasions which will mark the centenary year of the State, and it is hoped that residents will attend in goodly numbers and thus pay their respect to one to whom Albany is deeply indebted.
Albany Advertiser, 26th October 1929.
|Address:||Brunswick Road West, Lawley Park, Albany, 6330|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.029637|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 27th October, 1929|
Sir Richard Spencer 1833 - 1839.
Born in London December 9 1779. In 1793 joined the Arethusa as a midshipman. His first battle being Lord Howe`s victory in the "Leviathan".
Later he was appointed by Lord Nelson to command the "Reward". In 1815 he was made Commander of the Bath, and in 1833 King William conferred on him the Hanoverian Guelphic Order. He died on July 24 1839.