Edmund Fitzgibbon Print Page
A monument commemorates Edmund Fitzgibbon, the first town clerk of Melbourne from 1856 to 1891. He was a champion for the preservation of parks. The monument is a 9 foot high bronze of him in barrister`s gown and whig and knee breeches. His right hand extends towards the city and his left rests on a pedestal holding a scroll. At the base lies a pile of books. Mounted on a pedestal of Harcourt granite.
Appointed Town Clerk in 1856, FitzGibbon helped to obtain crown land for public markets, and fiercely opposed attempts to alienate parkland. He prevented the Melbourne Gas Co. from selling its grant of crown land at West Melbourne, and survived an attempt by leading gas shareholders to unseat him as town clerk.
|Address:||St Kilda Road & Linlithgow Avenue, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.823617|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Monument Designer:||James White|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1908|
Edmund Gerald Fitzgibbon JP CMG Town Clerk of the City of Melbourne 1856-1891, first Chairman of the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works 1891-1905.
Erected by public subscription 1908.