Andrew ThompsonPrint Page
Tombstone erected by Governor Macquarie commemorates Andrew Thompson, Justice of the Peace and Chief Magistrate of the Hawksbury District. Thompson saved many lives in the Hawkesbury River floods of 1809.
Andrew Thompson arrived in New South Wales as a convict but after a period of time, during which he was a constable of "Green Hills" he became a rich emancipist land owner and entrepreneur. Macquarie sought his advice on planning for high flood free land in Windsor and made him a Magistrate. He saved the lives of many people in the Hawkesbury floods of 1809. Unfortunately, Andrew developed a chest complaint after being in the flood waters for 3 days and nights. Andrew died in October 1810 aged 37 years. Macquarie named the square out front of the Macquarie Arms, previously known as Bell Post Square, Thompson Square in his honour.
|Address:||Moses Street, St Matthews Church Cemetery, Windsor, 2756|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.609444|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1810|