www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Marshal Jacques Leroy De St ArnaudPrint Page Print this page

Jacques Leroy De St Arnaud
Jacques Leroy De St Arnaud

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

The statue commemorates the Marshal of France, Jaques Leroy De St Arnaud (1798 - 1854), who commanded the French Army during the Crimean War, and after whom the town was named.

Armand-Jacques Leroy de Saint-Arnaud was a French soldier and Marshal of France. He served as French Minister of War until the Crimean War when he became Commander-in-chief of the army of the East.

He succeeded Marshal Magnan as minister of war and superintended the military operations of the coup d`état of 2 December 1851, which placed Louis Napoleon on the throne as Emperor Napolean 111. A year later he became a Marshal of France and a senator, remaining at the head of the war office till 1854, when he set out to command the French forces in the Crimean War, alongside his British colleague Lord Raglan. Ill with stomach cancer, he died on board ship, shortly after commanding at the Battle of Alma(20 September 1854). His body, returned to France, lies buried in Les Invalides. 

Location

Address:Napier Street, Queen Mary Gardens , St Arnaud, 3478
State:VIC
Area:Foreign
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.617669
Long: 143.258874
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Military
Monument Designer:Maurice McGrath
Monument Manufacturer:Coates & Wood

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 30th September, 2005
Front Inscription

Jacques Leroy De St Arnaud
(b 1796 - d 1854)
Marshal of France.

Marshal St Arnaud, although ill, commanded the French Army, combined with the British forces and a Turkish contingent against Russia during the Crimea War. In 1854, seven days after leading the victorious Battle of Alma, he was stricken with fever and died 3 days later in a vessel taking him home to France.

This was around the time of the New Bendigo gold rush when national spirit was running high. Records show that the Lands Department surveyed a site for a proposed village along the St Arnaud Creek in 1856, but it was ignored. It was clear that the residents of the goldfield had already decide on both the site and name of the future town. Thus St Arnaud came to be.

Unveiled by Mr. Peter Walsh M.L.A., 30.9.2005
Sculptor - Maurice McGrath
Bronze Casting - Coates & Wood.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design