www.monumentaustralia.org.au

William ShakespearePrint Page Print this page

03-November-2013
03-November-2013

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

Statue of English author William Shakespeare. The statue was presented by L.F. North, General Manager of the Fidelity Trustee Company Limited, representing the late H.P. Stevens as one of the benefactors whose generosity enabled the Statue to be erected.  

The sculpture was commissioned from Hungarian-born Australian sculptor, Andor Meszaros, at a cost of £4000. At the time it was claimed that the large bronze statue was only the second Shakespeare Memorial to be erected in Australia, and that it was unusual in that it was the first cast in Australia - previously all such castings had had to be sent to England or Italy.

The proposal to erect a Statue of Shakespeare in Ballarat stemmed from a movement in 1889, when a committee was formed and a meeting held to inaugurate the proposal. At the initial meeting 258 pounds was contributed to the fund, which was later built on by further donations. In 1935 the fund stood at 945 pounds. In 1939 a bequest of 100 pounds was received from the estate of the late Frank Gale. In October 1952, the Fidelity Trustee Company Limited notified of an extract of the will of Harry Person Stevens, in which be bequeathed the sum of 2,000 pounds to the fund for the erection of a Statue of William Shakespeare. 

The memorial was intended to complement the statues of the Scottish and Irish "National poets," Robbie Burns and Tom Moore, in Sturt Street.

 

Location

Address:Mair Street, Ballarat Civic Hall , Ballarat, 3350
State:VIC
Area:Foreign
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.559234
Long: 143.855893
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Foreigners
Monument Designer:Andor Meszaros

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 17th November, 1960
Front Inscription

WILLIAM
SHAKESPEARE
1564 - 1616

Right Side Inscription

Erected By Benefactions
From Harry Pearson Stevens
Who Settled Here 1855
And Other Citizens
Unveiled By Arthur W. Nicholson
J.P., Mayor. 17.11.1960

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design