www.monumentaustralia.org.au

William LandsboroughPrint Page Print this page

A monument commemorates the explorer William Landsborough.

William Landsborough explored the Aramac district in 1859 in his first expedition. Discovering a creek, which flowed south-west into the Thomson River, he named it Aramac, after a former pastoralist, Robert Ramsay Mackenzie (hence 'R. R. Mack'), who was also Queensland's first colonial treasurer and  future Premier.

Location

Address:Barcaldine-Aramac Road, Aramac, 4726
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -22.978382
Long: 145.242426
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Link:http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonli…

Dedication

Front Inscription

William Landsborouygh marked a Coolabah tree at the end of this water hole with "L 1860" and named the creek Aramack Creek.

The town initially went under the name of Marathon but was changed to Aramac in 1875.

 

Source: MA,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design