www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Charles SturtPrint Page Print this page

12-August-2018
12-August-2018

Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

The monument commemorates the explorer, Charles Sturt.  It was unveiled in the centenary year of Captain Charles Sturt`s exploration of the River Murray. The monument was relocted to its present site on the 4th February 2001 and a further plaque was added on the 27th September 2001.  

In January 1830 Sturt's party reached the confluence of the Murrumbidgee and a much larger river, which Sturt named the Murray River. It was in fact the same river which Hume and Hovell had crossed further upstream and named the Hume.  Several times the party was in danger from the Aborigines but Sturt always succeeded in appeasing them.  Sturt then proceeded down the Murray, until he reached the river's confluence with the Darling. Sturt had now proved that all the western-flowing rivers eventually flowed into the Murray. In February 1830, the party reached a large lake which Sturt called Lake Alexandrina. A few days later, they reached the sea. There they made the disappointing discovery that the mouth of the Murray was a maze of lagoons and sandbars, impassable to shipping.

A large crowd assembled on Duranda Terrace on Saturday morning, the occasion being the unveiling of the memorial to Captain Charles Sturt. Mr. A. W. Pearce (chairman) very ably spoke on the object of the gathering, and then called on Dr. C. E. Wilson, of the Royal Geographical Society, who spoke very interestingly on the achievements of Captain Sturt. Captain Parker, of the Historical Memorial Commitee, was then introduced and explained the object of his committee in perpetuating the memory of the pioneers. He congratulated the people on the memorial they had erected. Mr. Pearce then called on Sir Lancelot Stirling, the grand old man of the South, to unveil the stone. Sir Lancelot thanked the people for the honor they had conferred on him and then drew the cord, thus disclosing the monument.
Southern Argus (Port Elliot, SA), 23 January 1930.

Location

Address:Woodrow Drive, near boat ramp, Milang, 5256
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.407949
Long: 138.974941
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Approx. Event Start Date:February-1830
Approx. Event End Date:February-1830

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 18th January, 1930
Front Inscription

CAPTAIN CHARLES STURT
PASSED THIS PLACE
FEBRUARY 1830
ERECTED 1930

Plaque : 

This Plaque Was Unveiled By

The Mayor Of The Alexandrina Council
Mr. Kym McHugh
On September 27th 2001

During The Visit To Milang Of The Centenary Of
Federation "Source to Sea" Great Paddle Steamer
Heritage And Leisure Boat Voyage 2001
Celebrating Captain Charles Sturt`s
Voyage Down The River Murray And
The Naming By Him Of
Lake Alexandrina On February 9th 1830.

This Monument Was Relocated To This Site On
February 4th 2001
By The Milang And District Historical Society Inc.

 

Source: SAM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design