William NowlandPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Russell Byers
The plaque on the grave commemorates William Nowland who explored and cleared the first track over the Liverpool Range at Murrurundi.

Four members of the Nowland family were amongst the earliest white settlers in the Upper Hunter area. The three brothers - William, Henry and Edward - went there in the early 1830’s.  William Nowland took up the grants initially made out to his brothers in the Camberwell area, and established his property called “Rosedale” there. It comprised fifteen hundred acres, and it was then known as Falbrook. He established a hotel there too - the Queen Victoria Inn - and had brother-in-law Alexander Johnston run it during his absences. 

He is the best known of the Nowland Brothers, as he discovered a pass over the Liverpool Ranges, north of Murrurundi in 1827, along the route which is used today. It took him 6 months to do this as he’d had to hide from marauding Aboriginals, escaped convicts (turned bushrangers), and battle the elements. He took a dray and cattle across, with the help of his convict stockmen, and the route is signposted as Nowland’s Pass today. He died in 1884, and is buried at St Clements, Camberwell.


Address:Glennie Creek Road, St Clement`s Church, Camberwell, 2330
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.472404
Long: 151.085083
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Approx. Event Start Date:1827
Approx. Event End Date:1827


Front Inscription
A tribute to the late William Nowland of Camberwell who in 1827 explored and cleared the first accessible track over the Liverpool Range at Murrurundi.
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design