www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Charles Norman Morrison (Norman Morrison Memorial Hall) Print Page Print this page

The Memorial Hall commemorates Charles Norman Morrison (1866-1909) educator and principal of Geelong College. The foundation stone for the hall was laid on the 7th October 1911.

The bronze bust of Charles Norman Morrison which is currently located in the hall was donated by several Old Collegians led by Roland Ravenscroft Wettenhall and was unveiled by the President of the Old Collegians’ Association, Dr Charles McKeddie Doig on Old Boys’ Day 28 March, 1928. It was sculpted by Paul Raphael Montford (1868-1938). 

Morrison became vice-principal of Geelong College in 1891 gradually taking over responsibity from his father who died in 1898. His initiatives brought enlarged grounds and buildings and the teaching of 'modern' sciences and languages. He led the cadet corps to great efficiency, especially in rifle-shooting.

Leading church schools had formed an influential group, the Associated Public Schools of Victoria, from which Geelong College, as a private concern, was excluded. So Morrison, with Crowther, formed a Victorian Schools' Association, hoping to raise the standard of other private schools and rival the A.P.S. When the experiment failed Morrison conceded that the desired status could be attained only by joining the A.P.S. This consummation was realized in 1908, the college being purchased by the Presbyterian Church and governed by a council, with Morrison as salaried principal

On 12 November 1909 Morrison was killed, attempting to get through a fence, when out shooting at Mount Moriac.

At a meeting of the committee of the old Geelong Collegians Association, held on Friday evening, twenty tenders were opened for the construction of the Norman Morrison Memorial Hall, according to plans and specifications prepared by Messrs. Tombs and Durran, architects. It was decided to recommend the council to accept the tender of Mr. Geo. P. Taylor at £2424/17/0 for the work: the proposed site is in front of the tennis court, and the building is to be of brick in conformity with the College design. It is intended to lay the foundation stone during the College Jubilee celebrations. The council is to meet in the Assembly Hall, Melbourne, this evening.
Geelong Advertiser (Vic), 31 July 1911.

 

Location

Address:Talbot Street, Geelong College , Newtown, 3220
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.151511
Long: 144.338402
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Education
Monument Designer:Tombs & Durran (archirects)
Monument Manufacturer:Mr. G.F. Taylor
Link:http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonli…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 7th October, 1911
Source: ADB, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design