Bishop Mathew HalePrint Page
A statue commemorates Bishop Mathew Hale and his role in the development of education in Western Australia.
He founded the Hale School in 1858 which is the oldest private boys' school in Western Australia. The school was originally situated at the Cloisters on St Georges Terrace in Perth, relocating in 1914 to West Perth, and in 1961 to its current premises in Wembley Downs.
The Right Reverend Dr. Mathew Blagden Hale (18 June 1811 – 3 April 1895) was the first Bishop of Perth, and later Bishop of Brisbane. Mathew Hale was Bishop of Perth until 1875, whereupon he became Bishop of Brisbane until 1885. He eventually returned to England, retiring at Clifton, Bristol where he died on April 3, 1895.
|Address:||200 St Georges Terrace, The Cloisters, Perth, 6000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.953333|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Greg James|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 15th March, 2008|
Mathew Blagden Hale
First Bishop of Perth
1856 - 1875
The 150th anniversary of the establishment of the Anglican Diocese of Perth and the pioneering work of Bishop Hale was celebrated in 2007.
His areas of interest were the welfare of the indigenous population, the humane treatment of convicts and the provision of secondary education for the boys of the developing colony.
The 150th anniversary of the establishment of "The Bishop`s School" in St George`s Terrace was celebrated in 2008.
On 28 June 1858 Bishop Hale opened the school with an initial enrolment of 22 boys who represented both city and country families. The ethos was set in the Christian tradition with a deep committment to the provision of a liberal education.
Bishop Hale resolutely maintained the momentum of the school during his time in Perth. In 1875 he was appointed Bishop of Brisbane.
The school moved to several sites after The Cloisters and since 1961 has been located at Wembley Downs where it proudly bears the title Hale School.
The sculpture commemorates the role of Bishop Hale in the development of education in Western Australia
Created by artist Greg James on behalf of the Old Haleians` Association March 2008