Andrew RossPrint Page
The Andrew Ross Memorial Museum is dedicated to the town`s first schoolteacher.
Andrew Ross accepted the position of head teacher at the Kangaroo Ground school in 1851 and over the next two decades established the Evelyn Commercial, Agricultural and Industrial School, the Kangaroo Ground Post Office Store and Hotel, and the Evelyn Observer newspaper.
The newspaper offices (next to the hotel) served from 1917 to 1934 as the Eltham Shire Offices. Andrew Ross was at various times the area`s preacher, Electoral Officer, its first Post Master, a Registrar of Births and Deaths, and Secretary to the Cemetery Trust and the Farmer`s Common.
|Address:||Yarra Glen Road, Kangaroo Ground, 3097|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.68|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.