Francis Ormond Memorial TabletPrint Page
Memorial tablet commemorates the businessman and philanthropist who was the founder of the Working Men`s College. Ormond`s earliest ventures in educational philanthrophy were the provision of a Presbyterian theological scholarship in 1872 and the financing of printed sermons for rural distribution.
His respect for education was closely associated with religion, morality and successful living. In 1877 he donated £300 to the appeal for a proposed Presbyterian college in the University of Melbourne for theological training and residence. Another special interest was the education of working men, and in England and on the Continent after 1860 Ormond took particular note of institutions for technical education.
In 1881 he began his long struggle to found a technical institute in Melbourne, but his toil and doggedness did not succeed until the Working Men`s College was founded in 1887. He contributed £20,500 to this project and as its chairman spent much anxiety and effort.
|Address:||6 Fenwick Street, Davidson Hall, Gordon Technical College, Geelong, 3220|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.146318|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1888|
In memory of the Hon. Francis Ormond M.L.C. who by his zealous and intelligent assistance as well as by his liberal donations, contributed so largely to the successful founding of this college. This tablet is erected by the Council 1889