Harold W. Hamilton (Brolga Gate) Print Page Print this page

Brolga Gate was erected by the Gould League of Bird Lovers in memory of Mr Harold W. Hamilton.

Harold Hamilton was a geography lecturer at the Teachers Training College in Sydney and was secretary for 17 years of the Gould League of Bird Lovers  He died in 1933.

The Gould League is an independent Australian organisation promoting environmental education, originally founded in Victoria in 1909 and named after the English ornithologist John Gould. Largely autonomous branches were subsequently established in other Australian states. Members would take a pledge to protect Australian birdlife and not to collect their eggs. The League had considerable success particularly in education. Activities included field days for the public to be introduced to birdlife, and publishing educational material.


Address:Dickens Drive, Centennial Park, Centennial Park, 2021
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.899239
Long: 151.238786
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Monument Designer:Mr J. Castle Harris


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 17th September, 1939
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design