www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sir Robert ChapmanPrint Page Print this page

07-November-2018
07-November-2018
Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams
The plaque commemorates Sir Robert William Chapman (1866 -1942) who was the founder of the Engineering School at the Adelaide University.

In 1889 Chapman became an assistant lecturer in mathematics and physics at the University of Adelaide, and next year also began teaching mathematics at the South Australian School of Mines and Industries. In 1901 he became lecturer in engineering and in 1907 first professor of engineering at the university. In 1910-19 he replaced (Sir) William Bragg as professor of mathematics and mechanics but in 1920 was reappointed to the chair of engineering, which he occupied until his retirement in 1937. Chapman was a council-member of the University of Adelaide from 1919 and occasionally acted as vice-chancellor. Upon retirement in 1937 he was made emeritus professor and knighted. From 1939 until his death he was president of the council of the School of Mines and Industries. Chapman was a member of many learned societies, and had been president of the South Australian Institute of Surveyors in 1917-29. 

Location

Address:North Terrace, University of Adelaide, Schulz Building , Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.920796
Long: 138.606815
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Education

Dedication

Front Inscription

SIR ROBERT
WILLIAM CHAPMAN Kt
C.M.G.  M.A.  B.C.E.

Founder Of The
Engineering School In
Adelaide & Associated
With This Institution As

Lecturer
Council Member
President
From 1889 To 1942

Eminent Engineer
& Skilful Teacher

Beloved By All

 

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design