www.monumentaustralia.org.au

William Blomfield Pulling Print Page Print this page

06-July-2016
06-July-2016
Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A plaque erected by the students and old boys commemorates William Blomfield Pulling, first headmaster of the Scone Grammar School who died in 1894.   

Reverend Alfred Thomas (Rector of Scone from 1878 to 1895) had sought for several years to have a secondary school established in Scone. In 1886 William Blomfield Pulling (then the assistant master at Kings school, Rochester) came to Scone to investigate the idea. In May 1887, it was decided to lease the old school to Pulling. On July 18, Scone Grammar School commenced its first term. Scone must have been booming because the building of a convent school in Scone commenced shortly thereafter.

Mr Pulling brought his brother Lee to Scone to help with the school, which now had 17 students, 11 of whom were boarders. Mr Pulling then added the Tower and another large room to the existing building and was granted a 16-year lease in exchange for carrying out further improvements to the school. Sadly, on October 30, 1894 Mr Pulling collapsed and died in the classroom, aged 34. 

Location

Address:Liverpool & Hill Streets, St Luke`s Anglican Church, Scone, 2337
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.050416
Long: 150.862283
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Education

Dedication

Front Inscription
                       In Loving Memory
                                of
             William Blomfield Pulling M.A. 
       Scholar of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. 
The First Head Master (1887-94) of the Scone Grammar School.
Who died at the School Oct.30.1894. Aged 34 years. 
This Tablet was erected by the Boys and "Old Boys" of the School. 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design