Percy C. W. LangfordPrint Page
Plaque records the dedication of the building to Percy C.W. Langford, founding headmaster of the school and his service with the 4th Light Horse Regiment at Gallipoli. The plaque was unveiled on the occasion of the school's 90th anniversary.
Mr Percival Charles William Langford was the first headmaster of Dandenong High School. During World War One, Mr Langford served in the 4th Light Horse Brigade of the First Australian Imperial Force, and saw action in France and the Sinai and Palestine Campaign. He was invalided out of the Army in September 1916 suffering from typhoid. He then undertook recruitment work for the Army. Mr Langford served at the school until 1934 when he transferred to Mildura, then to Frankston in 1937 where he worked until his retirement in 1948.
The colours of the school are those of Mr Langford’s Regiment, the 4th Light Horse, and are red and two shades of blue.
|Address:||92-106 Princes Highway, Dandenong High School, Dandenong, 3175|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.979361|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 13th September, 2009|
THIS PLAQUE RECORDS THE DEDICATION
OF THIS BUILDING TO
RECOGNISING HIS PIONEERING VISION AS
FOUNDING HEADMASTER (1919 TO 1934)
AND COMMEMORATES HIS WORLD WAR 1 SERVICE
WITH THE 4TH LIGHT HORSE REGIMENT AT GALLIPOLI
UNVEILED ON THE OCCASION OF THE SCHOOL`S
13 SEPTEMBER 2009