Tom PetriePrint Page
A monument erected by public subscription commemorates Tom Petrie, explorer, grazier and friend of the Aboriginals. The monument was restored in 2010 and moved to a prominent place outside the North Pine School of Arts.
Thomas Petrie arrived with his parents at Sydney in the Stirling Castle in October 1831 and moved with them to Moreton Bay in 1837. Educated by a convict clerk, he was allowed to mix freely with Aboriginal children. He learnt to speak the Brisbane tribal dialect (Turrabul) and was encouraged to share in all their activities. At 14 he was taken on the triennial walkabout to the feast at the Bunya Range. Accepted by the Aboriginals as a friend, he was in constant demand as a messenger or companion for exploration expeditions.
During journeys with his father he gathered a knowledge of surveying and bushcraft and an intimate acquaintance with the Brisbane district and its settlers. When the Douglas ministry opened Queensland`s first Aboriginal reserve on Bribie Island in 1877, Petrie became its chief adviser and overseer. The experiment was terminated next year by Palmer largely because Petrie`s report on Aboriginal attitudes and activities was not encouraging. He played little part in politics but was a foundation member of both the Caboolture and Redcliffe divisional boards and for years returning officer for Moreton electorate. Thomas Petrie died on August 26, 1910.
|Address:||Anzac Avenue, Petrie Place, Petrie, 4502|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.269503|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 15th July, 1911|
To honour the memory of Tom Petrie (1831 - 1910). and to commemorate his great services to Queensland as pioneer, patriot, philanthropist.
This monument was reared by affectionate friends and admirers and unveiled on July 15th 1911, by His Excellency Sir William MacGregor, G.C.M.G., C.B., Governor of Queensland.
The North Pine Heritage Trail
Tom Petrie Memorial
At the time of Tom Petrie`s death funds were donated to commemorate his life and legacy. The Queensland Government acknowledged Tom Petrie`s contribution to public life by changing the name of the railway station and the postal district from North Pine to Petrie just prior to the memorial`s unveiling.
Sir William MacGregor, Governor of Queensland, officiated at this ceremonial event held on the corner of Redcliffe Road (ANZAC Avenue) and Whites Road where the monument`s water features were connected to a nearby windmill. The stock trough and drinking fountain remained in use until the 1960s.
This memorial is arguably the most significant monument in the district.