www.monumentaustralia.org.au

John Mackay Print Page Print this page

Memorial Clock commemorates explorer, sailor and harbourmaster.

Mackay was persuaded by pastoralist friends to lead an expedition in search of northern grazing land. They left Armidale in January 1860 and travelling inland reached Rockhampton on 2 March. The exploration began after they left the settlement at Marlborough some sixty miles (97 km) north of Rockhampton on 22 March. Mackay led his party along the banks of the Isaacs River but tree markings and a deserted camp indicated they were following the track of G. E. Dalrymple, whose expedition had left Rockhampton before Mackay`s arrival. The party retraced their steps for some distance and then turned east into terra incognita between the Burdekin and the watershed of the Isaacs River which Leichhardt had noted. Their discovery of this area on 16 May became known as the Mackay district.

Construction of the Captain John Mackay memorial clock probably will start before June. Australian Natives' Association secretary (Mr. M. A. McColl) said this at the weekend.  The four-faced electric clock would be built at the intersection of Wood and Victoria streets.  Mackay people were responding well to the appeals for financial assistance.
Daily Mercury (Mackay, Qld),  22 February 1954.

Location

Address:Victoria Street, Mackay, 4740
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -21.141276
Long: 149.186261
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Clock
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Discovery
Link:http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonli…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 27th July, 1957
Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design