Captain James CookPrint Page
Commemorates James Cook , the English explorer, navigator and cartographer, who rose to the rank of Captain in the Royal Navy. He was the first person to map Newfoundland, and he made three voyages to the Pacific Ocean, during which he achieved the first European contact with the eastern coastline of Australia and the Hawaiian Islands as well as making the first recorded circumnavigation of New Zealand.
The monument was originally commissioned by the Endeavour Hills Housing Estate. However in 1997 the statue was donated to the City of Melbourne and placed outside Cook`s Cottage in July of the same year.
|Address:||Wellington Parade, Fitzroy Gardens, Cook`s Cottage, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.814522|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Marc Clark|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1973|
Cook`s Cottage was constructed in 1755 in the English village of Great Ayton by the parents of James Cook. It was shipped to Victoria and re-erected in the Fitzroy Gardens in 1934.
The cottage commemorates Captain James Cook, whi in 1770 mapped the east coast of australia from Pt Hicks, in Victoria, to Possession Island north of Queensland.
The 'oldest building in Australia', it is open daily.