Thomas MitchellPrint Page
An obelisk commemorates the site of Major Mitchell's camp in 1836.
At the unveiling of the Bulla memorial for Hume and Hovell, Charles Daley the Secretary of the Victorian Historical Society suggested that the idea be extended to other explorers and a committee was formed to mark out the routes of Charles Sturt, Thomas Mitchell, Angus McMillan, and Count Paul de Strzelecki.
Thirty-six cairns or tablets to Mitchell were erected at Nyah West, Swan Hill, Cohuna, Mount Pyramid, Fernihurst, Wedderburn, Kanya, Stawell, Mount William, Horsham, Mount Arapiles, Miga Lake, Harrow, Coleraine, Casterton, Dartmoor, Isle of Bags, Portland, Mount Rouse, Mount Napier, Hamilton, Lake Repose, Dunkeld, Middle Creek, Mount Greenock, Skipton, Mitchellstown, Nagambie, Castlemaine, Expedition Pass, Kyneton, Benalla, Wangaratta, Chiltern, Gooramadda and a public park at Natimuk (Major Mitchell Park, Mount Arapiles, Natimuk)
|Address:||Greenham Street, Fort O`Hare Campground, Dartmoor, 3304|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.926319|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||12-August-1836|
|Actual Event End Date:||12-August-1836|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 19th December, 1936|
Major Mitchell, Explorer, camped at junction of Glenelg and Crawford Rivers, opposite this obelisk 12th August 1836