Hamilton HumePrint Page
Hamilton Hume’s Grave.
On 17 October 1824, a fortnight after leaving Hume`s home at Appin, the party left his station at Gunning, then the farthest out. In the next sixteen weeks the party made many important discoveries including the Murray River, which the explorers for different reasons named the Hume, many of its tributaries, and the valuable agricultural and grazing lands between Gunning and Corio Bay in Victoria. It was a rich return for the distance travelled. They arrived back at Gunning on 18 January 1825.
For his services Hume received a grant of 1200 acres (486 ha), which he was forced to sell to pay outstanding expenses. In 1839 he bought from Henry and Cornelius O`Brien a cottage and 100 acres (40 ha) on the Yass River and lived there. In 1860 Hamilton Hume was elected a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society. He became a magistrate and attended to his duties in Yass almost to the day of his death. An Anglican, he was a foundation trustee of St Clement`s, Yass, and other institutions in the township.
|Address:||Irvine Drive, Cemetery, Church of England Section, Yass, 2582|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.836667|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.