www.monumentaustralia.org.au

David M. RossPrint Page Print this page

David M. Ross : 14-July-2012
David M. Ross : 14-July-2012
Photographs supplied by Peter Gray

The plaque on the south wall of the church commemorates David M. Ross, a former Trustee and Manager of the church from 1876 to 1905.

The death took place at his residence, Windsor, on Saturday night, of D. M. Ross, an annual visitor to this town for the last six years, who was well-known to many Cobramites. In the municipality of Prahran, where deceased lived for nearly 40 years, he was known to all old residents, having been a colonist of 53 years standing. The late D. M. Ross was born in September, 1834, at Fettercairn, Scotland, and had consequently entered on his 72nd year at the time of his death, which occurred from cardiac failure. He took a prominent part in the establishment of various Melbourne institutions, in some of which he remained an active worker till the time of his death. An enthusiastic amateur horticulturist, he founded the Victorian Horticultural Improvement Society, whose spacious hall lies directly opposite the Trades' Hall, and subsequently became president of that body, as well as a trustee of the building. Not resting satisfied with the establishment of the Melbourne society he also founded the South Suburban Horticultural Society, and took the offices of president and treasurer thereof successively. He interested himself greatly in benefit societies, and was Past Grand Master, Grand Treasurer, and Grand Trustee of the Order of St. Andrew, and represented that body till his death as trustee to the Friendly Societies' Gardens, Melbourne. He was also P.W.M. and Treasurer of the Prahran Lodge, O.S.A., and was the pioneer of that branch. Together with the late Sir James McCulloch, deceased worked to establish St. George's Presbyterian Church, East St. Kilda, and by their efforts Professor Rentoul, now of Ormond College, was induced to come to Australia. Mr Ross remained a manager of St. George's until his demise. In every respect he was a model father, and one whose uprightness, generous disposition and steadfastness made him beloved by all who knew him. He leaves a grown-up family of five sons and two daughters to mourn his loss. The remains were interred in the St. Kilda cemetery on Monday afternoon, in the presence of a very large attendance of relatives, members of tho church, horticultural societies, various lodges, etc., aud the funeral service was impressively read by Rev. G. H. Balfour, B.A., assisted by Rev. Professor Skene.
Cobram Courier (Vic), 9 November 1905.

Location

Address:4 Chapel Street, St George`s Uniting Church, St Kilda East, 3183
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.859231
Long: 144.992256
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1876
Approx. Event End Date:1905

Dedication

Front Inscription

In Memory Of
DAVID M ROSS 
A Servant Of Christ
     And
Faithful Worker In This Church
As Trustee & Manager
Since Its Foundation In 1876.
Died 4th November 1905. 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design