Tindal Pearson PorterPrint Page
Prayer desk given by residents of Ramornie Meat Works in memory of their manager Tindale Pearson Porter.
Mr Porter contracted pneumonia while on a trip to England and died in Durban on the 1st September 1914 at the age of 57.
On Saturday the new Anglican Church of the Holy Apostles at Copmanhurst was dedicated by Right Rev. Dr. Druitt, Bishop of Grafton. The old church had got into a dilapidated condition, and the parishioners determined to erect a new one, and after some discussion a site was chosen at Lower Copmanhurst, on which the edifice that was dedicated on Saturday was erected. The petition for dedication was read by Rev. L. E. J. Gray, vicar, and was duly received by the bishop. The service was preceded by the 23rd Psalm, after signing which the bishop laid the petition on the holy table. The dedication of the font, altar rails, prayer desk, lectern, chancel stops and holy table followed. The holy table, stone font, eagle lectern and organ were removed from the old church. The lectern was placed in the old church to the memory of Mr. H. E. Barnes, for many years a resident of the parish and lay reader in the old church. The prayer desk was presented by residents of Ramornie Works in memory of the late Tindal Pearson Porter.
Excerpt from Clarence and Richmond Examiner (Grafton, NSW),
16 February 1915.
|Address:||25 Cambridge Street, Church of the Holy Apostles, Copmanhurst, 2460|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -29.583261|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1915|