Frederick BrownPrint Page
Two memorial windows erected by friends in the chancel of Christ Church commemorate Frederick Brown (1829-1903), auctioneer, barrister, solicitor and parliamentarian.
Brown had a strong sense of public duty and in September 1856 was elected to the first Beechworth Municipal Council. He supervised financial proceedings, assisted with the framing of by-laws and plans for the municipal waterworks and guided the council as chairman in 1858 and 1859-60. In 1860 he was appointed territorial magistrate and left for England to study law. He was admitted to Lincoln's Inn in April 1861 and called to the Bar in January 1864.
He returned to Melbourne, was admitted to the Victorian Bar in August and soon afterwards began to practise in Camp Street, Beechworth. Brown often appeared at sittings of the Beechworth Criminal Courts and handled legal cases as far afield as Albury. He resumed civic duties as member of the Beechworth Borough Council in 1865 and became mayor in 1866-67 and again in 1871.
|Address:||Church & Ford Streets, Christ Church, Beechworth, 3747|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.360942|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.