Patricia (Pattie) TillyardPrint Page
Bronze birdbath erected by The Australian Federation of University Women (A.C.T.) as a memorial to Patricia Tillyard, a community leader who was closely associated with the University.
Pattie Tillyard was a councillor (1929-32) and frequent vice-president of the University Association of Canberra and represented it on the Canberra University College Council (1942-45).
She was a member of the Canberra Community Hospital Board (1935-37), standing for election because she felt that `there ought to be women on every governing body`. As a former suffragist, she regarded the right to vote as a `privilege and a duty` which was `to a great extent neglected` by Australian women. She was Commissioner of the Girl Guides Association (A.C.T.), and President (1929-33) of the Young Women`s Christian Association, the Association of Women Graduates, Canberra, the Victoria League and the Women`s Hockey Association.
She retained the supreme confidence of a `Newnhamite` in her ability to chair a meeting, take charge of an organization, or entertain the highest in the land. During World War Two she was Chairman of Commandants of the Lady Gowrie Services Canteen which, after the war, staffed Canberra Community Hospital canteen. In 1951 she was appointed M.B.E.
The late Mrs Patricia Tillyard, who for many years was closely involved with the Australian National University, was remembered during a ceremony at the university yesterday. A bronze birdbath in scribed "Patricia Tillyard I880-1971 — A Friend of the University", and set in rocks and trees in the university grounds, was opened by Lady Huxley, a lifelong friend of Mrs Tillyard. Mrs Tillyard was the founding president of the Australian Federation of University Women — ACT in 1944 and was actively involved in the federation for many years. Her husband founded the school of entomology at the university.
The Canberra Times, 29th March 1976.
|Address:||Ellery Crescent, Australian National University, Acton, 2601|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.279722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 28th March, 1976|
Patricia Tillyard I880-1971 — A Friend of the University