John Clark Memorial BandstandPrint Page
The bandstand was erected as a memorial to John Clark who was well known for his generosity to the town of Denmark.
John Clark was born in Scotland in 1879 and came to Denmark in 1908 where he took up farming until the 1920s. In 1927, after being granted a hotel licence, he built the Denmark Hotel which he and his wife operated for a number of years.
In 1940 he built Edinburgh Guest House. Mr Clark had played in a band in Scotland as a child and it was with these memories that he donated £2,000 to the Shire of Denmark in his will who forwarded the bequest to the Denmark P & C Association. During the 1960s they purchased instruments for a Silver band (the Denmark Memorial Silver Band, the first school band in WA). He also donated £2,000 to the then Denmark Road Board to build a bandstand on the small reserve opposite the Catholic Church.
|Address:||Bambrey Road, Denman River, Denmark, 6333|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.95964|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Forbes & Fitzhardinge|
|Monument Manufacturer:||N.D. Thornton|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1964|