John NicholsonPrint Page
Monument commemorates Dr. John Nicholson, physician and magistrate of Benalla and marks the bridle path he used.
Dr Nicholson was Health Officer, Shire Analyst and Public Vaccinator ; Commissioner of the Water Trust ; Honorary Magistrate ; and Returning Officer. He was a participant at Benalla in the Mechanics Institute, and local drama and opera productions.
He tended Ned Kelly`s wounds after his capture at Glenrowan and was entrusted with Ned`s green sash, later donated to the Benalla Costume and Pioneer Museum where it is now on display. He is buried in Benalla Cemetery.
|Address:||Bridge Street, Benalla Gardens, Benalla, 3672|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.552017|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1840|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1915|
John Nicholson MD (Edin), M.R.C.S. (Eng), born Lowenthwaite, Cumberland 5.6.1840. Arrived in Australia on Royal Dane as ship`s surgeon 1865, settled in Benalla 1871.
Life Governor and Hon. Surgeon, Wangaratta Hospital; Surgeon to the Forces; Health Officer; Shire Analyst; Commissioner of Water Trust; keen horticulturist; Hon. Magistrate; returning officer, Electorate Moira; largely instrumental in securing this site for public park and gardens. He laboured for 50 years as Medico, townsman, philanthropist and lover of the arts.
This bridle path was used by him to his horse paddock. Died Benalla 13.5.1915.
Erected by the Shire of Benalla and the Benalla and District Historical Society