Mrs. Monro (Monro Memorial Fountain)Print Page
The Monro Memorial Drinking Fountain is named in honour of Mrs Monro, the wife of the Bank Manager in Bathurst, who, with Dr Machattie and Dr Spencer, instigated the removal of the Bathurst Gaol and that the site be set aside for a public reserve.
Mrs Monro was a very active and popular member in the Bathurst Community and this was especially notable in her organisation of the "Old English Fair" by which funds were raised to assist the Council in laying out and improving Machattie Park. Mrs Monro and her husband received a testimonial dinner and were farewelled by many citizens when they left Bathurst in 1891. She died in 1899.
The two fountains for Machattie Park may be expected to be erected shortly. The larger one, which has been paid for by subscription amongst the public, is so awkward in its dimensions that it cannot be brought from Sydney by train, aNd will have to be conveyed by team across the mountains. The smaller fountain is a memorial to Mrs. Monro, and will occupy a central position facing a main street.
The Sydney Mail and New South Wales Advertiser (NSW), 12 December 1891.
|Address:||Russell, George, William & Keppel Streets, Machattie Park, Bathurst, 2795|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.417841|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||December - 1891|