William & Winifred TyrellPrint Page
A monument commemorates William and Winifred Tyrell for their services to the community of Currumbin and Currumbin Valley.
|Address:||Currumbin Creek Road, Currumbin Rock Pool, Currumbin Valley, 4223|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.204907|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
The Tyrell Family
This plaque recognises the outstanding contribution of William (Bill) and Winifred Tyrell toward the community of Currumbin and the Currumbin Valley.
The Tyrell family arrived at Currumbin Creek in 1904, their original farmland and family home "Laureidale", adjoined these rock pools prior to the establishment of the Currumbin Valley State School.
Bill & Winifred were instrumental in the early development of the school, and as a registered nurse, Winifred cared for the health of the school children, The Tyrells donated land for the original Currumbin Creek School and also made available the family`s Laureidale tennis courts and cricket pitch for the use of students.
Bill & Winifred were also instrumental in the formation and development of various sporting and community organisations in the area including the Currumbin - Palm Beach Bowls Club, the Currumbin RSL, Currumbin Creek School Committee and the Currumbin Show Society.
Their generoisty, dedicated service and community spirit have contributed to the positive development of the Currumbin community.