www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Milo John Reginald TalbotPrint Page Print this page

02-November-2014
02-November-2014
Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland
A plaque commemorates Milo John Reginald Talbot, the 7th Baron Talbot de Malahide. A keen gardener, Lord Talbot of Malahide commissioned and sponsored the book, The Endemic Flora of Tasmania.

The Endemic Flora of Tasmania is a six-volume botanical book, with text by Winifred Mary Curtis and coloured lithographs by botanical illustrator Margaret Stones. 

In 1961, Lord Talbot, a keen gardener, rare plant enthusiast and Tasmanian property owner commissioned her for a group of 35 drawings of Tasmanian plants. The Talbot family had owned Malahide Estate, near Fingal, Tasmania since 1824. He later decided to expand the commission and publish the work as a series of books, engaging Curtis to write the text to accompany the final 254 drawings. Collection of the plant material was done by Talbot and Curtis after which they were sent by airfreight to Stones in London for illustrating.

Lord Talbot died in 1973, after the 4th volume was published. Publication of the final two volumes were coordinated by his sister, the Honourable Rose Talbot.

Location

Address:Esk Highway, St Peter`s Anglican Church, Fingal, 7214
State:TAS
Area:Foreign
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.639073
Long: 147.966821
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Community

Dedication

Front Inscription

To the glory of God and in memory of Milo John Reginald Talbot, C.M.G.

7th. Baron Talbot de Malahide of Malahide Fingal, granted to the Hon. William Talbot in 1824, and also of Malahide Castle Ireland

Born London 1st. December 1912
Died at sea off Piraevs, Greece 14th. April, 1973

He loved Tasmania 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design