Opening of Fig Tree RounaboutPrint Page
The Fig Tree Roundabout is located at the intersection of Long & Macdonnel Roads,
|Address:||Long Road , Eagle Heights, 4271|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.920231|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 7th July, 2001|
This plaque commemorates the official opening of the
FIG TREE ROUNDABOUT
This site marks the original home of William Henry Crawford, who planted the giant fig tree at the nearby roundabout. The roundabout was completed by the Beaudesert Shire Council, on behalf of the Queensland Government`s Main Roads Department.
William Crawford was born in Bromsgrove near Birmingham, UK in 1862 and as a young man came to Australia with his parents. He involved himself in helping new arrivals form the "old country" and in doing so met his future wife, Harriet Locker. They affectionately became known as Will and Hetty.
They married in 1883 and had eight children. Living in Brisbane, Will was a carpenter with Queensland Railways. Later they moved to Tamworth NSW. In 1916, while their only son Clarence fought in World War One, they returned to Brisbane and lived at Ashgrove in the street which now bears their name. By 1925, all their surviving children had married and were to produce 15 grandchildren.
Will was in ill-health. His doctor had given him six months to live. While on holiday at Tamborine Mountain, Will and Hetty decided to spend the rest of their time here together. They chose this corner block overlooking Eagle Heights and engaged a colleague to build their home "Ashgrove" in about 1926.
As Will`s health improved, he began clearing the land and planting trees. Among them was a special tree he carefully nurtured on the other side of the road, expressly to provide shade and rest for many walkers who passed by. As the tree grew he built a wooden seat around it. This was replaced many years later by a stone wall.
In 1993 Will and Hetty celebrated their golden wedding anniversary at Ashgrove with their large family. In the late 1940`s, the couple`s health was failing and they moved to Brisbane. During the following decade, they both passed away. But the fig tree remained as a landmark on Crawford`s Corner.
In the late 90`s, Council hired tree surgeons to help improve the tree`s condition and at the turn of the century built a roundabout to improve traffic safety.
This plaque was officially unveiled by members of the Crawford family,
on behalf of the Beaudesert Shire Council on Saturday, July 7, 2001.
Cr. R. W. Munn Mayor
Cr. V. Bull Division Seven
G. W. Day Chief Executive Officer