William MayersPrint Page
A plaque commemorates William Henry Johnston Mayers who was the foundation District Grand Master of the District Grand Lodge of Carpentaria.
One of the early pioneers of Cairns, Mr. William Henry Johnson Mayers, died in Brisbane yesterday morning. The late Mr. Mayers was managing-owner of Mayers Ltd., Cairns, but retired from business about 10 years ago and went to Clayfield, Brisbane, to reside. Mayers Ltd. was established in 1870 at the very start of Cairns by Kenyon and Co. In due course it came into the hands of Messrs. Mayers, and was managed by deceased up till his retirement .
Mr. Mayers was an outstanding member of the Masonic Fraternity in the Far North. He entered Freemasonry through the Comet Lodge, at Barcaldine, which lodge, was founded under the English constitution, before coming to Cairns over years ago. He was installed as Founder District Grand Master of the District Grand Lodge of Carpentaria U.G.L.Q, on April 19, 1924 and continued in that office until July 26, 1932. The rank of Past Deputy Grand Master was conferred upon him by the United Grand Lodge of Queensland. He was the chief founder of the Carpentaria District Aged Freemasons' Widows' and Orphans' Institution at Cairns. He was also one of the founders of the Cairns and District Masonic Club. Mr. Mayers was recognised as an authority on Masonic law and his knowledge was of great advantage to the Fraternity.
Cairns Post (Qld), 26 November 1947.
|Address:||8 Minnie Street, Masonic Lodge, Cairns, 4870|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -16.917367|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
In Remembrance Of
Rt. Wor. Bro.
WILLIAM HENRY JOHNSON MAYERS
Foundation District Grand Master
Of the District Grand Lodge of Carpentaria
1924 - 32.
Whose Unremitting Services Were
Devoted Towards The Advancement
Of The Craft And The Erection Of This
Worthy Temple And Edifice