Dr George ReidPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The gates commemorate Dr George Reid who donated the land for the Salmon Ponds at Plenty in the Derwent Valley.

The Salmon Ponds, circa 1861, is the oldest trout hatchery in the Southern Hemisphere. It was the birthplace of trout in Australia and the origin of Tasmania’s legendary trout fishery. The Salmon Ponds has operated since the 1860s and is owned by the Inland Fisheries Service. Trout raised here, using eggs harvested from wild fish, are used to complement Tasmania’s world renowned fishery.

A set of gates erected as a memorial to the man who donated the land for the salmon ponds at Plenty in the Derwent Valley was officially opened on Saturday. The memorial gates were opened by the Attorney General (Mr. Fagan), who praised the action of the late Dr. George Reid in granting the land. Mr. Fagan also unveiled a plaque on the gates to perpetuate the work of two Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries commissioners. They are the present chairman of the commissioners (Mr. O. H. Hedberg) and a former commissioner (Mr. H. W. Cramp).
Examiner (Launceston), 2nd March 1953.


Address:70 Salmon Ponds Road, Stannards Cottage Salmon Ponds, Plenty, 7140
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.7539897
Long: 146.9694015
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Gate
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 28th February, 1953
Front Inscription

To the memory of George Frederick Reid L.R.G.P., L.R.G.S. (Edin.) who bequeathed these grounds to the Crown for propogation and study of fish life

Erected by the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Commissioners

A. D. 1952

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design