Neville George BarnettPrint Page
Marble cross erected by friends as a memorial to Neville George Barnett (1854-1895), musician who died at Picton Lakes.
Barnett arrived in Sydney in May 1887, ostensibly to take an attractive post, but had to wait until next year before his organ recital at the Centennial Musical Festival at the University of Sydney drew attention to his skill. He was immediately appointed organist of St Mary's Cathedral under John Delany, the director of music. At the cathedral a series of recitals which he gave soon after his appointment helped to raise the funds necessary for completion of the half-built organ. In addition to his instrumental work he acted as a music critic, writing for the Sydney newspapers.
Barnett occupies a position of importance in Australian musical life as the first organist of proven qualifications to reside permanently in New South Wales.
In response to an invitation from Messrs. Arthur Smyth and Thomas M. O'Neill, who were intimate friends of the late Mr. Neville George Barnett, organist of St. Mary's Cathedral, several well known ladies and gentlemen met at Paling's on Monday to discuss the question of a memorial which in terms oi the circular should "place on record their appreciation and recognition of his scholarly attainments as a musician.'' Mr. Hector M'Lean presided. It was resolved, on the motion of Mr. Morris Menser, that a subscription list should be opened and a concert given, with a view to raising funds either for the publication of Mr. Barnett's work, "The Art Theory of Harmony," or for any other memorial of the late musician which future circumstances may dictate. The following gentlemen were appointed as a committee to carry out this resolution : — Mr. Hector M'Lean, Mr. Morris Menser, Mr. Harry Leston, Mr. C. Huenerbeing, Mr. Manfield Newton, Mr. W. C. Upton, Mr. J. B. White, the Rev. Father Carroll (administrator of St. Mary's Cathedral), Mr. Arthur Smyth (hon. secretary), and Mr. T. M. O'Neill (hon. treasurer), with power to add to their number. It is also proposed to form a ladies' committee.
Freeman's Journal (Sydney), 19 October 1895.
|Address:||Menangle Street, St Mark`s Anglican Church, Picton, 2571|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.168841|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.