www.monumentaustralia.org.au

John GloverPrint Page Print this page

08-January-2014
08-January-2014

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / John Huth

Statue commissioned by the John Glover Society Inc., commemorates John Glover who was a prominent landscape painter of the Colonial period. John Glover became a landscape artist of high repute and a member of the British Society of Painters in Water colours of which he was elected President in 1807.

Glover first exhibited in oils in 1799 at The Royal Academy, London, and had his first major success as a painter in that medium. Continuing to exhibit at The Royal Academy, he sold his view of Durham Cathedral in 1812 for 500 guineas. He exhibited in Paris in 1814 and was presented with a gold medal by Louis XVIII.

In 1820 he opened his own very successful gallery at 16 Old Bond Street London. Three of Glover`s sons left England for Van Diemen`s Land [Tasmania], arriving in 1829. Two years later John Glover and his wife Sarah joined them, arriving at the River Tamar near Launceston on the artist`s birthday, February 18th, 1831. In 1835 he sent works to London for an exhibition depicting the scenery and customs of the inhabitants of Van Diemen`s Land.

Location

Address:Logan Road, Falls Park , Evandale, 7212
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.570986
Long: 147.253319
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Arts
Monument Designer:Peter Corlett

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 18th February, 2003
Inscription in Proximity

The John Glover Bronze Statue by Peter Corlett was commissioned by The John Glover Society Inc. and unveiled by the Governor of Tasmania the Honourable Sir Guy Green AC, K.B.E., C.V.O. on February 18th 2003
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design