Abram-Louis BuvelotPrint Page
A memorial erected by public subscription commemorates the landscape painter, Abram-Louis Buvelot, who taught landscape-drawing at the Artisans` School of Design in the old Trades Hall, Carlton.
In 1868 Buvelot had applied for the instructorship without fees in art classes at the National Gallery of Victoria, but despite letters from the students requesting his appointment the position with salary was finally given in 1870 to Eugen von Guerard. Buvelot took a small number of private pupils, including the architect, J. J. Clark, and the landscape painters, Charles Bennett and H. J. Johnstone.
Buvelot made extensive sketching tours in Victoria, favouring the Western District, the Port Phillip area and Macedon. He may also have visited South Australia and Tasmania. In 1884, afflicted with failing eyesight and crippled hands, he gave up painting altogether. He died in 1888.
|Address:||High Street, Boroondara General Cemetery, Kew , 3101|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.803489|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.