www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Henry Lawson TreePrint Page Print this page

Plaque affixed to the stump of a tree which was known as "The Lawson Tree" The spot was dedicated to the memory of the poet Henry Lawson. 

From 1923 the annual memorial gatherings occurred under a gum tree which in 1941 became officially known as the Henry Lawson Tree. The tree was cut down to allow widening of the Ballarat Road but the stump was retained.

Under the auspices of the Footscray Henry Lawson Memorial Society, on Sunday afternoon a memorial tablet to Henry Lawson was unveiled in Footscray Park. Mrs, M. A. Hunter (president) welcomed the visitors, and said that each year, since the death of Henry Lawson, on September 2, 1922, the Footscray Society had held its pilgrimage at this tree, and a more elaborate memorial would eventually mark the spot. Dr. J. Booth (Australian Literature Society) delivered a short address and unveiled the tablet, with the legend:— "The Footscray Henry Lawson Memorial Society dedicated this spot to the memory of Henry Lawson— 1867-1922." Other speakers were:: — Mrs.G. Fielding (Australian Poetry-lovers), Messrs. C. R. Long, J. K. Moir, J. McKellar (Fellowship of Australian Writers), S. Ford, and Cr. W. Jacka (Mayor of Footscray).
Record (Emerald Hill, Vic),  20 September 1941.

Location

Address:Ballarat Road, Footscray Park near Park entrance, Footscray, 3011
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.794335
Long: 144.900911
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Arts

Dedication

Front Inscription

The Lawson Tree.
This plaque was affixed by the Henry Lawson Memorial and Literary Society in memory of Australia`s national writer and poet Henry Lawson 1867 - 1922 The ashes of Steve Ford, J.P. founder of the Lawson Society were scattered around the tree on 2nd February, 1947.

Source: RUMV,VMR, RHSV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design