Hugh LawnPrint Page
Plaque commemorates Hugh Lawn, captain for twenty-five years of the St. Mary`s Society of Ringers, who died in 1902.
The ringing and care of the bells of St Mary's Church is entrusted to the St Mary’s Basilica Society of Change Ringers, a small group of men and women of various ages and backgrounds. Both Catholics and non-Catholics are members of the Society and have been since the bells were first rung in 1844.
MR. HUGH LAWN. This week it is our sad duty to record the death of Mr. Hugh J. Lawn (familiarly known as 'Hughey'), which event occurred on Friday last, at his residence Hereford street, Forest Lodge. The deceased had been ill for about five months, consequent on an attack of influenza, which latterly developed into pneumonia. He was a prominent figure in connection with St Mary's Cathedral bells, being for nearly 40 years associated with the bell-tower, and occupied the position of 'captain' of the ringers for a quarter of a century. The funeral took place on Sunday last, the solemn procession being headed by the cross-bearer of St. Benedict's branch of the A.H.C. Guild (of which he was a member), followed by about 20 members of St. Mary's Bellringers' Society, past and present, and members from other towers. A large number of relatives and friends followed immediately behind the hearse.
Freeman's Journal (Sydney), 18 January 1902.
|Address:||College Street, St. Mary`s Cathedral, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.871528|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1902|