www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Angus MackayPrint Page Print this page

29-November-2014
29-November-2014
Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A monument erected over the grave by public subscription commemorates Angus Mackay, journalist and politician.

Angus Mackay migrated to Australia as a young child and attended. J. D. Lang's Australian College in Sydney. He went on to become a teacher and headmaster before embarking on a career in journalism. Mackay worked for several colonial newspapers including the Atlas, the People's Advocate, the Empire and the Argus. In 1855, Mackay, together with John Henderson and James Joseph Casey, purchased the Bendigo Advertiser. They later established the McIvor Times and bought the Riverine Herald. Mackay was also a member of the syndicate that began the Daily Telegraph in Sydney in 1879.
 
Mackay was active in the Bendigo community. He represented the Sandhurst Boroughs in the Victorian Legislative Assembly and was a minister in several governments during the 1870s, working particularly in the areas of mining and education.

The erection of a monument by the citizens of Sandhurst to the memory of the Hon. Angus Mackay has now been completed.  It stands a short distance to the left of the mortuary chapel, in the Presbyterian ground, and its beautiful and massive proportions at once attract attention.

The committee having called for competitive designs to be carried out by the designer, and at a cost not exceeding £300, several plans were submitted from different parts of the colony, and after mature consideration, it was resolved to accept the design submitted by P. Finn and Co., of the Sandhurst Steam Granite Polishing and Sawing Works, as being the one most suitable in every respect, both as to design, material, and class of workmanship to be executed.

The monument is a substantial, elegant and massive polished granite column, surmounted by a polished granite urn, and supported by bases, die and cap, all of the same material, obtained from Mr. Blight's quarry at Mt. Alexander.
Bendigo Advertiser (Vic), 2 November 1887.

 

 

Location

Address:Carpenter Street, Bendigo Cemetery, Bendigo , 3550
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.778333
Long: 144.284167
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Grave
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Arts
Monument Designer:P.Finn & Co
Link: http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonl…

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:November-1887
Front Inscription
Erected to the memory of THE HON ANGUS MACKAY

One of the foremost pioneers of Bendigo, and able journalist, a patriotic citizen,  
a faithful representative for many years of the city of Sandhurst in the Legislative Assembly
the author of the Regulations of Mines Statute
one of the fathers of the Education Act and the Minister for Mines under whose direction the supply of water to Bendigo from Malmsbury was implemented

THIS MONUMENT has been raised in grateful remembrance BY THE PEOPLE OF BENDIGO

The Hon Angus Mackay was born at Aberdeen
26th January 1824
Died at Sandhurst 5th July 1886
 
Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design