Second FleetPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the arrival of the Second Fleet, the Lady Juliana and survivors from the H.M.S Guardian.
The Second Fleet is the name of the second fleet of ships sent with settlers, convicts and supplies to colony at Sydney Cove in Port Jackson, Australia. The fleet comprised six ships: one Royal Navy escort, four convict ships, and a supply ship. The ships were intended to sail to Australia together, arriving at Sydney Cove in 1789. However the escort was disabled en route and failed to make the destination, and one convict ship which was delayed arrived two months after the other ships.
The Lady Juliana sailed before the other convict ships and is not always counted as a member of the Second Fleet. The storeship Justinian did not sail with the convict ships and arrived before them. HMS Guardian set out before the convict ships but struck ice after leaving the Cape of Good Hope, returned to southern Africa and was wrecked on the coast.
The Surprise, Neptune and Scarborough were contracted from the firm "Camden, Calvert & King" who undertook to transport, clothe and feed the convicts for a flat fee of £17 7s. 6d per head, whether they landed alive or not.
They left England on 19 January 1790, with 1,006 convicts (928 male and 78 female) on board. They made only one stop on the way, at the Cape of Good Hope. Here 20 male convicts, survivors from Guardian, were taken on board. The three vessels made a faster trip than the First Fleet, arriving at Port Jackson in the last week of June 1790, three weeks after Lady Juliana, and one week after the storeship Justinian.
|Address:||Argyle Street, Barney and Bligh Reseve, The Rocks , 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.859275|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||June-1790|
|Approx. Event End Date:||June-1990|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||June-1990|
To Commemorates The Arrival Of
The Second Fleet, Lady Juliana,
And Survivors From H.M.S. Guardian.
"The Neptune" "The Surprise"
"The Scarborough" "The Lady Juliana"
Arrived June 1790 Commemorated June 1990