Port Phillip First SettlementPrint Page Print this page

Port Phillip First Settlement : 08-June-2012
Port Phillip First Settlement : 08-June-2012

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

Two Norfolk Pines and plaque commemorate the first settlement on Phillip Island by the McHaffie family. The trees and plaque were unveiled in 1988 as an Australian Bicentennial project. 

In 1841, brothers John David and William McHaffie, were granted Phillip Island as a squatting run and took possession in 1842. The McHaffies, and later settlers, assisted the Victorian Acclimatisation Society (forerunner of the committee which established the Melbourne Zoo) by introducing animals such as pheasants, deer and wallabies to Phillip Island. 


Address:Grossard Point Road, McHaffie Point, Ventnor, 3922
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.466342
Long: 145.166572
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Trees
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 21st February, 1988
Front Inscription


To commemorate the first settlement on
Phillip Island by the McHaffie family
These two Norfolk Island Pines
were planted on 21st February, 1988,
by their descendants
Nancy McHaffie and Meg Davis.

An Australian Bicentennial Project
with the financial assistance of the
Commonwealth Government and the
Shire of Phillip Island.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design