Welsh PioneersPrint Page
A cedar fireplace surround from the mansion "Brynhyfryd" which was owned by Lewis Thomas has been converted into a combined Welsh pioneers / World War Two memorial.
Lewis Thomas had begun to mine coal at Blackstone in the 1860s. In 1883, a group of Welsh people, formerly slate miners from Blaenau Ffestinog, arrived in Blackstone to work for Thomas. Shortly after their arrival, they held a Protestant church service under a mulberry tree on the banks of Bundamba Creek. They agreed that Welsh nationality took priority over minor sectarian differences and formed a Welsh Church. The first combined service was held in a church hall in the nearby suburb of Newtown on 19 July 1883. Lewis Thomas then allowed use of a cottage in Blackstone for services. As the number of Welsh immigrants grew, this became too small and Thomas donated land for a church. The church building opened officially on 1 October 1886.
|Address:||6 Thomas Street, United Welsh Church, Blackstone, 4304|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.623608|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.