Pioneers MemorialPrint Page
Commemorates the first European settlement in the Skipton District in 1839
|Address:||Glenelg Highway, Stewart Park, Skipton, 3361|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.686014|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 16th April, 2000|
1839 - 2000 Memorial to Pioneers
This cairn commemorates the first settlement by Europeans in the Skipton District. Early in 1839 a primitive hut was built on this spot to serve as a homestead for Alexander Anderson, William Wright and James Montgomery.
The three partners had leased from the Crown approximately 21,000 acres for their sheep run which they named "Bamgamie".
In later years, Bamgamie was divided into the well-known properties Langi Willi, Mooramong, Baangal and a portion of Borriyalloak.
This cairn was erected by the Skipton & District Historical Society Inc. and unveiled by life member, Mary Bradshaw 16th April, 2000