Settlers WalkPrint Page
A parkland walk commemorates the soldier settlers and their familes who took up residence in the Cavendish District after World War Two.
|Address:||Henty Highway, Wannon River Bridge, Cavendish, 3314|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.526564|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1994|
the contribution made to the Cavendish district by Soldier Settles who "took up blocks" after the Second World War, is remembered and recorded by Settlers Walk.
The Settlers, men, women and childre, lived in very primitive conditions awaiting the completion of their homes. Huts, galvanised iron garages and even tents were their temporary homes.
Access roads, although fenced along new boundaries were unmade and impassable in winter without the aid of a tractor.
Telephones came soon after the houses, but electricity took up to 13 years.
The land responded remarkbaly to superphospate allowing the stocking with sheep and cropping to commence, and with good wool prices during the 1950-60`s the settlements establish.
During 1954 the school building at Rocklands was relocated to a site on a part of Stan Thompson`s settlement at Springwood. The school opened in March 1955 and Gavin Hoare as its first teacher ; he was followed by Alan Henderson and Alan Cole who was in charge when the school closed at the end on 1963. At one time the school has 22 pupils attending from both the Springwood and Nigretta settlement areas
[ Names of settlers and estates ]
A Cavendish Townscape Project for 1995 assisted by Rural Finance Corporation of Victoria