Linton`s DiggingsPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the site of the Linton's Diggings Township.
Gold was discovered on the northern portion of the Emu Hill pastoral run in 1855 and within months, there were hundreds of men and women of many different nationalities there, including many Chinese, digging holes, felling trees, erecting tents, and creating a settlement where before there had just been a forest of eucalypts. This became known as ‘Linton’s Diggings’, which subsequently became ‘Old Linton’s’ when a new township was built on Surface Hill in 1860. This was the beginning of the town we know today as Linton.
|Address:||Linton-Snake Valley Road, Linton, 3360|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.672778|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Linton & District Historical Society|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1991|
This plaque commemorates the site
Linton's Diggings Township
Settled in 1855 when gold
Was discovered in the surrounding
Hills and gullies
Erected 1991 by
Linton & District Historical Society Inc.