The World Memorial DrivePrint Page Print this page

The World Memorial Drive : 23-April-2011
The World Memorial Drive : 23-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

Memorial Drive commemorates the pioneers of Charters Towers.

Charters Towers was founded in the 1870s when gold was discovered by chance at Towers Hill on Christmas Eve 1871 by 12-year-old Aboriginal boy, Jupiter Mosman. Jupiter was with a small group of prospectors including High Mosman, James Fraser and George Clarke. Their horses bolted after a flash of lightning. While he was searching Jupiter found both the horses and a nugget of gold in a creek at the base of Towers Hill. Charters originated from the Gold Commissioner, W.S.E.M. Charters.  A total of ten major gold reefs were eventually mined. 

Such were the boom years, between 1872 and 1899, that Charters Towers hosted its own Stock Exchange.  A railway between Charters Towers and the coastal port of Townsville was completed in December 1882. During this period, the population was approximately 30,000, making Charters Towers Queensland's largest city outside of Brisbane. The city was also affectionately known as 'The World', as it was said that anything one might desire could be had in the 'Towers', leaving no reason to travel elsewhere. The town was officially declared in 1877 with John McDonald being elected the town's first mayor.



Address:Gregory Developmental Road, Charters Towers, 4820
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -20.066764
Long: 146.259369
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Road
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 10th November, 1991
Front Inscription

The World Memorial Drive

Dedicated to the memory of the pioneers 


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design