Hindmarsh FamilyPrint Page
Interprative plaque commemorating the ‘Four Orphans’ was unveiled in Hindmarsh Park, Kiama, explaining the provenance of the name.
The plaque celebrates the central role that the Hindmarsh family made in establishing Kiama, as well as the strong civic role that family had made in all facets of Kiama over the next four generations.
The Hindmarsh family came to Australia after the death of their parents and received their land grant at Gerringong in 1822. They built Alne Bank in 1855 which has been lived in by 10 generations of Hindmarshes to this day. One of the first structures in Kiama was the Hindmarsh general store, which was supplied by Hindmarsh ships, and the first Postmaster was George Hindmarsh. Hannah Hindmarsh ran a school.
|Address:||Terralong & Shoalhaven Streets, Hindmarsh Park, Kiama, 2533|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.669444|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 20th November, 2010|