Coonamble Sesqui-CentenaryPrint Page
Signpost commemorates the Sesqui-Centenary of Coonamble. The signpost gives the year of establishment of the citis named.
In 1840 James Walker established the first run in the area; that being the 'Koonamble' station, settled by his agent. It soon became a watering place and campsite for passing stockmen. Land on either side of the river was reserved for a townsite in 1855. In 1859 it was surveyed and the first post office established. The township was gazetted in 1861 with the first courthouse and lock-up built in 1862.
|Address:||Castlereagh Highway, Coonamble, 2829|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.960639|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1855|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2005|
LIONS CLUB TIME-LINE
The time-line signpost was officially unveiled by
Coonamble`s Mayor Tim Horan, on 17th December
2005, to commemorate Coonamble`s
Coonamble township was laid out of 1855 and
instead of having a multi-sign post pointing to
different cities and giving the distances away, the
figures on each of the signs are the years of
establishment of those cities.
The Time-Line post was manufactured by
Coonamble Lions Club members and erected by
Coonamble Shire Council.