www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of NynganPrint Page Print this page

02-May-2019 (Sandra Brown)
02-May-2019 (Sandra Brown)

Photographs supplied by Michael Doncaster / Sandra Brown

The fountain commemorates the centenary of Nyngan.

The first recorded visit by Europeans to the Bogan River was by a party led by Major Thomas Mitchell, who set off from Parramatta on March 9, 1835. On May 10, 1835 Mitchell arrive in what was then known as Nyingen (Nyngan). He described this spot as a 'long pond with many birds, ducks and brolgas'.

Eleven years later in 1846, Major Mitchell returned to what he called Nyingen, only to find burnt relics of the previous settlement. At this time Canonba, a small village on Duck Creek some 30 kilometres north of Nyngan, was a thriving village but declined following the completion of the railway line to Nyngan in 1883.

The Municipality of Nyngan was proclaimed on February 17, 1891 with Nyngan having a population of 1355, and in 1906 the Bogan Shire was incorporated. The Bogan Shire Council and the Nyngan Municipal Council amalgamated with each other 1972.

In 1983, Nyngan celebrated its centenary year with the unveiling of the Centenary Fountain.

 

Location

Address:Pangee Street, Nyngan, 2825
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.563593
Long: 147.197682
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1883
Approx. Event End Date:1983

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 28th September, 1983
Front Inscription

NYNGAN CENTENARY FOUNTAIN
1883 - 1983

Plaque :

THIS FOUNTAIN
Was Officially Opened By
His Excellency
THE RIGHT HON. SIR NINIAN STEPHEN
A.K., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O., K.B.E., K.St.J.,
Governor General
Of The Commonwealth Of Australia

On 28th September, 1983,
To Commemorate The Centenary Of The Town Of Nyngan

Plaque :

The Erection Of This Fountain
Was Largely Made Possible
Through The Efforts Of
The Centenary Princess Candidates

Leanne Parry, Karen Power
And Gabrielle Wynne
          1983

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design