Pioneers MonumentPrint Page
The Pioneers Monument and park commemorates the pioneers of Gawler who are buried in the park and the 150th anniversary of the foundation of Gawler.
Pioneer Park was the site of Gawler’s first cemetery. The land was allocated for the town’s public cemetery on the original plan by Colonel William Light. It was a rectangular section on a hilltop, bounded by Murray Street, Horrocks Place and Union Street. The first recorded burial was two-year old Ellen Fielding on 10 January, 1847. Until 1857, when the first Gawler Council was incorporated, the cemetery had no form of management and the records of burials were kept by the Minister of St George’s Anglican Church. The land was used for burials until 1870; graves were dug in all parts of the cemetery, many having headstones and iron railing fences. A total of 471 people, a large number of them children, were interred in this cemetery.
European settlement dates from 1839, with Gawler being the first country town in South Australia. Gawler was established through a 4,000 acre ‘special survey’, with the town plan devised by Colonel William Light, at a site he recommended at the junction of the North and South Para Rivers. The town grew from the mid 1800s into the late 1800s, particularly during the 1870s and 1880s.
|Address:||Murray & Cowan Streets, Pioneer Park, Gawler, 5118|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.596239|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1839|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1989|
Pioneer Park. Erected to the memory of those pioneer families of Gawler and District in eternal rest in this park. Commemorating the 150th anniversary of the foundation of the town. From the Rotary Club of Gawler 1989.